These healthy fruity muffins are chock-full of fruity goodness! They have apple slices, banana, lime zest, strawberries and blueberries. They are also dairy free and vegetarian!
These muffins were hard work. Not to make, but perfecting the recipe took more than one go. The first time I added a tad too much baking soda and not enough honey. They weren’t inedible, but they weren’t good enough. Not to mention, that very first time, I also got interrupted by my 7 year old and couldn’t remember if I had already added baking powder, so I had to scrap the flour mixture and start over. It was a frustrating day! I was back in the saddle the next day though, and this recipe is my final perfected version!
The least healthy part of these muffins are the white flour. That can easily be subbed for whole wheat or a different type of flour, but it will of course change the muffin a bit. I used white flour because I was trying to mimic a bakery style muffin.
What you need for these healthy fruity muffins:
- Blueberries and chopped strawberries (or sub other fresh berries-frozen works too!)
- 1 Mashed banana
- Soy Milk, or other type of milk, dairy or non-dairy depending on dietary restrictions.
- Honey. This is the only sweetener used in these healthy fruity muffins, so that makes them refined sugar free! Yay for healthy muffins!
- Vegan butter. If you aren’t concerned about dairy, you can absolutely use regular unsalted butter.
- Extra virgin olive oil. I find that the best muffins have both butter and oil in them, but this is just my opinion! Perhaps the butter enhances the flavour while the oil makes a more tender crumb.
- Apple slices for putting on top of the muffins!
- Lime zest. This adds another level of flavour and I love it! Truthfully, I prefer lime over lemon. Speaking of lemon, you can definitely use lemon zest if that’s all you have. Doing so will change the flavour, but if you like lemon it will be fine!
- Sea salt. I use fine-grain sea salt in all of my baking. If all you have is table salt that is fine. Don’t use course salt though because the large crystals will not distribute throughout the batter properly!
If this is for breakfast, what’s for dinner?
Looking for a way to use of the rest of your limes or lime zest? Take a pork roast out of the freezer and make this Slow-cooker Cuban Mojo Pork, from lemon blossoms! I made this yesterday and it is super tender and flavourful! I will definitely be making it again! So head on over there for the recipe and enjoy a delicious muffin for breakfast and tender pork roast for dinner! Happy cooking!
Healthy Fruity Muffins
- 240 g all-purpose flour 2 cups, sifted and levelled
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tsp lime zest optional
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 126.5 g soy milk just under 1/2 cup, room temperature
- 113.5 g mashed banana about 1 medium banana
- 105 g pure honey 1/4 cup+ 1 tbsp, room temperature
- 25 g extra virgin olive oil
- 56.75 g unsalted vegan butter melted and slightly cooled
- 84 g diced fresh strawberries 1/2 cup. You can use frozen if you want, but make sure to still dice them!
- 113 g fresh blueberries 2/3 cup. you can use frozen, but I suggest using wild blueberries instead of the big ones.
- 9-10 slices apples for topping muffins
- Slice up strawberries and apple pieces and set aside with the blueberries.
- preheat the oven to 425 and grease a muffin pan.
- in a small bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients with a whisk, including the lime zest.
- Ina large bowl, combine the melted butter and oil.
- Add in egg and vanilla and combine.
- Add in milk and combine.
- Add in mashed banana and combine. Set aside.
- Add the berries into the flour mixture and combine.
- Add the flour mixture into the wet mixture and gently combine with a rubber spatula.
- Fill the muffin cavities with the batter. Fill all the way to the top and put into preheated oven for 7 minutes. After 7 minutes, lower the temperature to 375 and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Place on cooling rack in the pan, for five minutes. After five minutes, remove the muffins from the pan and let them cool completely before eating!