When a regular sized chocolate muffin isn’t cutting it, these JUMBO double chocolate muffins will! Have one with your afternoon tea to boost production. Or, ditch the tea, these muffins have your afternoon coffee baked right in!
Double chocolate muffins are as close to a cupcake as you can get. Sure, they aren’t light and airy, but they are a treat that doesn’t seem fair to call “muffin”. I always feel guilty eating chocolate baked goods, even when they under the guise as a muffin or healthy snack, is that just me?! These muffins do have healthy ingredients, though, so there’s that, at least!
This recipe is great, but if you are looking for regular size chocolate muffins, check out my triple chocolate chip muffins recipe here. They are actually my favourite chocolate muffins! (There’s a reason they are called OMG Amazing Triple chocolate chip muffins!) I’m actually going to bake up a batch today!
Let’s talk about Bakeware!
The other week when I was buying my new stand mixer, I found this cute bakeware set at ThinkKitchen. It is lightweight, so I wasn’t sure about the quality, but it was on sale for around 20$, so I said what the heck! I certainly didn’t need more bakeware, but it came with a jumbo muffin pan which I didn’t already have but definitely wanted! Here’s the set.
ANYWAY, I was super impressed after the first use, because I didn’t use paper liners and the tin was as clean as it could be after removing these jumbo double chocolate muffins! (See photo!) The muffins came out super easy, which is every bakers dream! So, are these pans long lasting? Who knows! But so far the pans are serving me well and the set was only $19.98 so not a huge investment!
Jumbo Double Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 200 grams All-purpose flour 1 2/3 cup, sifted and levelled
- 50 grams dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 104 grams pure maple syrup 1/3 cup, room temperature
- 56.75 grams unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled 1/4 cup
- 25 grams olive oil 2 tbsp
- 42.57 grams milk, any kind 3 tbsp room temperature
- 66 grams applesauce 1/4 cup, room temperature
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 56.75 grams strong brewed coffee 1/4 cup, room temperature
- 75.66 grams vanilla greek yogurt 1/3 cup, room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 425 and grease your jumbo muffin pan.
- Mix all of your dry ingredients together until completely combined, with a whisk, in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add your melted butter, maple syrup and olive oil to a large mixing bowl and whisk until completely combined.
- Add in the milk, applesauce, eggs, coffee, yogurt and vanilla and whisk until combined.
- Mix in the flour mixture, gently, with a rubber spatula until mostly combined and then dump in the chocolate chips and combine gently until just combined.
- Fill your muffin cavities all the way to the top and place in the preheated oven.
- Bake at 425 for 10 minutes and then reduce heat to 375 and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let rest in muffin pan for five minutes before removing. Remove muffins onto cooling rack and let them cool completely before enjoying!