This tasty zucchini tomato sauce will go great with your favorite pasta. It is extremely versatile, you can add your favorite meat, lentil or bean!
I usually love to make my pasta sauces with ground beef. It’s what I grew up with and it’s what I love. This time I wanted to do something a bit different, so I created a sauce without meat. I had leftover zucchini so I wanted to incorporate that as well. I usually add spices to meals as I go, but that doesn’t exactly help when you want to duplicate the recipe later so I chose my spices, measured them and threw them all together into a ramekin to add to the sauce all at once!
What Spices are in this Tasty Zucchini Tomato Sauce?
In this sauce I have a good size list of spices. I love a sauce with maximum flavour so the more spices, the better!
- onion powder
- smoked paprika
- thyme leaves
- ground savoury
- oregano leaves
- ground sage
- garlic powder
- optional cayenne and red pepper flakes
My husband and I don’t agree on what the best pasta sauce tastes like. He likes it spicy hot while I like it spicy but not hot! Don’t get me wrong, I love spicy hot things, but I like to enjoy the savoury aspect of spaghetti without too much heat. So what I usually do is save the hot spices for the very end-after I have scooped out enough sauce for myself and the kids.
The veggies I use in this recipe are pretty simple. Onion, green pepper and zucchini. You can use colourful peppers if you want, I usually do, but this time around I only had green peppers. I used canned whole tomatoes and a can of tomato sauce for this recipe. The canned whole tomatoes I use come from Costco and have puree in with them and I use that as well.
Above are the tomatoes and sauce I like to use with most of my tomato based recipes. They are both from Costco. I love Costco! You can get a 12 pack of organic tomato sauce for $15.99 online, or even cheaper in warehouse. I also recently discovered their minced garlic in a jar! It sure makes things a bit easier in the kitchen!
I used my healthy pork meatballs with this tasty zucchini tomato sauce the other night and it was a hit!
Tasty Zucchini Tomato Sauce
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 large zucchini shredded
- 1 green pepper cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1.5 tsp minced garlic
- 1 398 mL canned tomato sauce
- 1 796 mL can whole peeled tomatoes in puree
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground sage
- 1/4 tsp ground savoury
- 1/2 tsp oregano leaves
- 1/4 tsp basil leaves
- 1/4 tsp thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp packed brown sugar
- salt to taste, as desired.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- On medium-low, put olive oil in your pan until heated, then add the green pepper and cook for a few minutes until a bit soft. Next, add your onion and zucchini and cook until a bit soft.
- Next you will add the minced garlic and sauté until slightly browned. Add in the whole tomatoes and the puree and let them heat up while you break the tomatoes with a wooden spatula. After the sauce has heated up and has started bubbling, add in the tomato sauce and spices and brown sugar.
- With the heat still on medium-low, let the sauce heat up to a simmer before turning down to low. Let it simmer on low until the extra liquids have simmered out of the sauce. This could take anywhere from 20-40 minutes.
- When the extra liquids have evaporated, your sauce is ready to use!