This recipe is for the best crispy waffles that are also dairy-free and soy-free!Jump to Recipe
Best Crispy Waffles!
I have made so many waffles for my family since getting my Double Belgian waffle maker last year. Some of the recipes are duds and others are pretty darn good. This one is one of those ones that are pretty darn good! Since my youngest daughter has a major dairy sensitivity, I made these waffles using cultured coconut yogurt. You can definitely use a different type of yogurt.
This Best crispy waffles recipe is a pretty basic recipe. We use corn starch to ensure that the waffles are crispy, so don’t swap this part if crispiness is important to you! I often find that as I’m using my waffle maker, the waffles don’t crisp up as nicely as the first batch or two. I have heard this complaint about many waffle makers, so I don’t think it is specific to this brand. What I do to make it crispier is flip the waffle and cook a bit longer in the waffle maker.
The weather here has been humid this summer, and this definitely affects the moisture in the flour, so sometimes I will toast my flour in the oven. It helps take some moisture out and it also lends a slight nuttiness to the flavour! If I make cookie mix for gifts, I will often toast the flour to make it safe for raw consumption (in case the little kids accidentally eat it! Toasting flour is also a good idea when you are making homemade play dough. I used toasted flour in this best crispy waffles recipe and my husband thought I had used whole wheat flour!
How to toast flour
Toasting flour is pretty simple, all you have to do is spread 1 or two cups of flour onto a baking sheet, and place in an oven that is preheated to 350, for 5 minutes! After removing, let it cool for a few minutes, and then use as you would normally use in any recipe!
The Best Crispy Waffles (dairy-free!)
- waffle maker
- kitchen scale (optional)
- 240 grams flour 2 cups, sifted and spooned
- 56 grams cornstarch 1/2 cups, sifted and spooned
- 2.5 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar I use organic
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon optional
- 136 grams vegetable oil 2/3 cups
- 510 grams non-dairy yogurt 2 cups + 2 tbsp, room temperature is best (I use cultured coconut vanilla yogurt)
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cooking spray optional
- Turn on your waffle maker to heat it up.
- in a small or medium mixing bowl, mix the dry ingredients with a whisk. Set aside.
- in a large mixing bowl, whisk together all of the wet ingredients until well combined.
- Next combine the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and mix gently with a silicone spatula, no need to over-mix here!
- Let the mixture sit for about 5 minutes.
- Spray your waffle maker with cooking spray, if desired.
- Spoon the mixture onto the waffle maker and let the waffle maker do it's magic!
Looking for a pancake recipe? Check out my fluffy honey oat pancakes here!